Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Dial-Up Percentage Abuse

From: Rob Keown <Keown () MACDIRECT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:44:08 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris [mailto:brahma () mendolink com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 8:40 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Subject: Dial-Up Percentage Abuse

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I really didn't know any
other lists
closer to my question.  I was wondering if anyone would know
where I could
obtain factual information regarding Dial-Up account abuse in
conjunction
with weak passwords.  A study or information gathered by a
credible source.

As in someone brute forcing/guessing/conning a password for a dial-up
account and using that account to launch attacks on systems
and do generally
malicious things.  I am trying to show the importance of
forcing customers
to select secure passwords (8 char+ w/ numbers, letters and
other printable
char) to my staff.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thank You,

Chris D.
Network Security
Mendo Link, LLC

"An Ounce Of Prevention Is Worth  A Pound Of Cure."
Om Namo Narayanaya