Security Incidents mailing list archives

FollowUp: Worm1800.exe on UnderNet?

From: cw <security () fidei co uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:41:30 +0100

Well I have to say that its fairly typical of the way things are
today the responses that have come in. The responses show that
everyone naturally assumes that worst of the person they are speaking
to.

I have several replies in my inbox which were obvious intended for
the list but the people concerned have simply clicked reply and not
put the list in the to or cc fields.

Let me clear up a few things. It is quite obvious that this is social
engineering, I never said anything else. I never did have any
intention of running this on a connected machine.

As this appears to be a new thing (see registration date of domain
concerned) I was merely wondering if anyone had seen it before and
new more details about it.

Someone mentioned that Norton picked it up as a trojan, I mentioned,
probably not clearly enough though in the original message that it
scanned clean. It still does. This is with the up-to-date version of
McAfee that I have.

I'll end with a little request. Try not to be so quick to assume that
everyone is a gullible muppet. We all know that there are hordes of
them around but there are people who have some sense and treating
them like a muppet will only piss them off.
--
O- cw, security () fidei co uk on 21/06/2002
"Part man, part monkey. Baby that's me"