Security Incidents mailing list archives

Honeynet Project - Reverse Challenge results

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 07:21:15 -0500 (CDT)

The Honeynet Project is excited to announce the results
of the Reverse Challenge.  In May, the security community
was challenged to reverse, analyze and document a malicious
binary captured in the wild.  During June a panel of judges graded
the submissions.  We are now releasing the results of the
challenge.

We received 35 submissions.  The judges were extremely impressed
with the amount of work, analysis, and documentation people
put into their submissions.  We would like to congratulate
everyone on an incredible job! We truly hope this challenge will
help the security community, and the development of reverse
engineering.  Based on a total of 50 possible points, the Top 3
entries were:

1st Place Dion Mendel                               43.4
2nd Place CoPS Lab at the University of North Texas 42.2
3rd Place Chris Eagle                               41.5

You can find the challenge, full results, and writeups at

        http://www.honeynet.org/reverse/

Finally, we would like to thank our panel of judges for volunteering
their time and effort in grading the challenge.

 - Gera
 - Halvar
 - Niels
 - Job de Haas