Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: DDoS to microsoft sites

From: "Adcock, Matt" <Matt.Adcock () gsccca org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:47:09 -0500

The fact that ports are listening for SQL traffic, NetBIOS traffic, and HTTP
requests ***have absolutely nothing to do with being rooted**.  According to
your logic, the only way to make a secure machine is to shut everything off.
That's absolutely ridiculous.  Guess what, these servcies are on lots of
Windows machines, including mine, but are protected by firewalls.

I'd really like for you to explain to me how a Windows network will run
without NetBIOS.  Try shutting it down sometime - you'll break your Windows
network, even 2000.  I'd also like for you to explain to me how you can
brute force attack admin accounts just because NetBIOS is open.

Matt