Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: what's listening on udp 161?

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () uchicago edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:10:56 -0600

Quarantine once said:
Hi all.  WinMap is reporting 161/udp open on several of my Win2K servers.
The problem is that SNMP isn't installed on these machines, and I don't know
of anything else that would be accepting traffic on that port.  Here's the
result of a netstat -a -n -p udp on one of the machines:

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address
  UDP    0.0.0.0:135
  UDP    0.0.0.0:445
  UDP    0.0.0.0:1034
  UDP    0.0.0.0:1251
  UDP    0.0.0.0:1434
  UDP    0.0.0.0:2344
  UDP    0.0.0.0:3456
  UDP    0.0.0.0:6050
  UDP    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:137
  UDP    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:138
  UDP    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:500
  UDP    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41524

I've confirmed that on a machine with the SNMP service installed and
started, the same netstat command shows UDP 0.0.0.0:161.  Can anybody
explain this to me?

From the nmap man page:

UDP scans: This method is used to determine  which  UDP
          (User  Datagram  Protocol, RFC 768) ports are open on a
          host.  The technique is to send 0 byte udp  packets  to
          each port on the target machine.  If we receive an ICMP
          port unreachable message,  then  the  port  is  closed.
          Otherwise we assume it is open.

Therefore, if your hosts are not allowing ICMP in and/or out, you will
get a false positive.  Try scanning the machine(s) for all UDP ports
( -p1- is the argument for that on the Unix nmap) and I'll bet you
get a report showing them all open.

-Conor