Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SNMP vulnerability test?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:55:13 -0500

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:34:00 GMT, Eric Brandwine said:

What're they printing from?  I'd check that first.  The number of
win98/nt/2k hosts listening on SNMP is terrifying.

How did it get turned on?  Microsoft said in the CERT advisory:

     vulnerability.  The  SNMP v1 service is not installed or running by
     default on any version of Windows. A patch is underway to eliminate
     the  vulnerability.  In  the  meantime,  we recommend that affected
     customers disable the SNMP v1 service.

Is this like the "W2K doesn't install IIS, but if you upgraded a machine
that had Personal Webpage (or whatever it was) it will upgrade that to IIS"?

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer