Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Steady increase in ssh scans

From: Etienne Joubert <etienne () citec net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:03:09 +0200

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 05:35, TCG CSIRT wrote:

Has anyone seen evidence of a worm?

no, but then we have not had any compromises.  I have seen no random
probing
that is favoured by most worms.  I do believe that there are worms out
there
that exploit BIND problems,  I regularly see random probes on udp 53.

I left one of our machines open, it got comprimised and was running vuln
checks and
attempts on addresses specified in a txt file. A lot of binaries were
replaced except for `find`.
From this I could work my way through the cleanup process and see everything
was going on..
Not surprizing there was a backdoor shell through which the silent intruder
started the daemons to scan/attack
other addresses.

I'm sure it's easy enough for them to simply automate this process and bam,
you got a worm.
PS: Our log counters are sitting at just over 4000 since 1 Feb.

regards,
EJ
CiTEC.NET