Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: We Are Past Your Firewall...Thanks for the responses

From: raymond simon <desperate_straights () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:55:19 -0800 (PST)

--- raymond simon <desperate_straights () yahoo com>
originally wrote:
A friend of a friend sent a screenprint of a popup
he
received when connecting to a network share.  The
text
reads (Sanitized):
Messenger Service
Message from MACHINE1 to MACHINE2 at TIME
We are past your firewall and can see you are on as
your administrator.  Are you concerned?
This actually is 'a friend of a friend' incident - I
was forwarded a screenprint of the popup which was
received *every* time he connects to a share on the
machine - I guess that was not explicitly stated.  So
I was wondering ig this was a skiddiemark.
I really don't know any of the other details, but my
friend an I both advise his friend that his admin
should be very concerned (apparently he is not).

Thnx for all the info - IMO Nathan's samba supposition
is prolly pretty good - if the message *is* indeed
automated.

ray