Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Attacks on GRC.com

From: "HarryM" <harrym () the-group org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:45:51 -0000

To the moderator:
    I'm not sure if this is on-topic for incidents since it's kind've a poke
at steve gibson as well as a question :)
    Would you mind sending this to the appropriate list if incidents is the
wrong one? I'm on incidents, bugtraq, vuln-dev and webappsec.
    Thanks.

RE Gibson's 'report' here: http://grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

I know i heard about this type of attack quite soem time ago, although i
don't remember it being given a name. Gibson has dubbed this a 'Distributed
Reflection Denial of Service' attack in his typical 'media-darling' style.
Has the *real* security community given this type of attack a name? If so,
what? And is there any defence, possibly automated, that server admins can
implement against innocent servers being abused in this way by crackers? Are
there any IDSs that can detect this type of activity?

I'm new to security in general so forgive me if any of those questions are
dumb!

Harry