Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: NTP scan ????

From: Paul Gear <paulgear () bigfoot com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:40:05 +1000

Russell Fulton wrote:

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:52, Will Aoki wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:43:19AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:

(213.237.6.5) at 22:13 GMT-7 on the 20th, but I figured that it must
be something other than NTP, since AFAIK NTP only runs over UDP.

Possibly but tcp-123 is reserved for NTP...

Normal practice is to reserve both TCP and UDP for the given port no matter
which protocols you reserve.

Another thought that
occurred to me was that it was a typo and they meant to scan for
1234 or 12345, both popular trojan ports, This seems unlikely since
it would appear that this wasn't a single scan.

Still a possibility, though, and perhaps more likely than my suggestion.  It's
perfectly conceivable that some script kiddie set up his tool to scan for hosts
and accidentally deleted the last 1 or 2 digits.

Perhaps you're seeing something similar: people looking for poor filtering
rules.

hmmm... so if you get any RSTs or port unreachables you would know that
the original packet went through the firewall.  Then you could start
probing with more interesting packets.  Certainly plausible.

Plausible, but unlikely to cause damage.  How many firewall implementations are
going to allow use of a port for filtering if the protocol is not specified?

Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net