Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: [Whitehat] "Nimda"?

From: Peter Mueller <pmueller () sidestep com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:30:55 -0800

Tony,

First of all, since these hits are trying to access Windows
directories do
they pose any threat to my Linux machine? Second of all, is
there any way
for me to block these types of hits from my server?

#1 - Your linux boxes are immune.  Nimda/code red works on IIS only.
#2 - what version of linux are you running?  More specifically, are you
using ipchains or iptables?  Iptables can be configured to filter out
"nimda" packets with a bit of elbow grease, but to my knowledge ipchains
cannot.

If anyone can recommend a good book or resource for hardening my Linux
server and / or any good IDS, antivirus and other such
security tools that
would be appreciated as well.

I have found "securing and optimizing linux" (redhat biased) is a good
starting point.  Go to linuxdoc.org and look under the guides section.

IDS - snort
antivirus? ... tripwire (checks binaries to see if they've changed).   {{
there aren't too many linux "viruses", but there are plenty of trojans }}
security tools? - nmap, netcat, nessus.. hmm about you just check out this
list? http://www.nmap.org/tools.html

cheers, enjoy linux :)

Peter