Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Distributed MSADC/root.exe scans

From: zeno <bugtraq () cgisecurity net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:38:27 -0500 (EST)

I have trouble believing someone would go to the trouble of collecting
compromised hosts and then waste them stealthily scanning for
vulnerabilities which even inattentive admins are likely to have patched
and will trigger any halfway decent IDS but a quick google didn't turn up
anything much.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?

People do collect infected hosts for use with ddos nets or machines to bounce from.
I still get valid code red hits almost daily which means alot of people still haven't
patched. I would find it very probable someone is collecting infected/backdoored hosts
for use in a ddos. Its very easy to upload a trojan and gain full access to these machines
so I don't understand why people wouldn't be scanning.

- zeno () cgisecurity com

Chris