Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:02:36 -0500

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:50:39 EST, Security Coordinator <security () aptusventures com>  said:

would be hard for them to know, but then why is it we see so many spoofed
packets around? There should be ZERO of them on the net. Every router knows
what addresses to expect to be inside vs outside.

I won't belabour the point, but YES, you should not just report it to the
ISP, you should let everyone know where attacks come from. What we REALLY
need is a database and system good enough to understand the topology of the
net and processes attack reports in a sophisticated enough way that we can
say things like "if this router was filtering like thus, this would be
impossible" and if an ISP won't configure their equipment properly, then they
can be held liable.

You know that, I know that - we put the lack of martian-packet
filtering in the SANS ddos document, it's mentioned in the SANS Top10,
and in the Top20.  I put it into the white paper that got used as the
basis for the Center for Internet Security benchmarks.  It's hardly news.

And RFC1918 says those address spaces are *not* for public use - but
if you go over to the NANOG list and suggest that ISPs filter
*RFC1918* packets that come out of customer sites (or quit numbering
their router point-to-point links out of 1918 space, which hoses Path
MTU discovery when our border routers correctly reject their
1918-sourced ICMP packets), you will surely start a flame-fest.

I'm afraid you're right - the only way those ISPs will change their attitude
is if one gets sued for contributory negligence for not filtering.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer