Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New MSN Messenger Worm

From: "dreamwvr () dreamwvr com" <dreamwvr () dreamwvr com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:36:38 -0700

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:12:15AM -0000, Bill Schalck wrote:

The details at our office were different.  The message
was “URGENT: Go to this web site
www.rjdesigns.co.uk/cool/” (or something very close
to that).  The strange thing is that this user SWEARS
that he never clicked on the link but our logs show his
computer attempted to access that web site.  Luckily
the site was down, possibly couldn’t handle the load.
Does anyone know of an exploit that combined with
the MSN exploit could redirect to a web site without
the users knowledge or action?

I'm concerned that eventually someone "smart" is
going to build a nimda like cocktail of MSN, IE and
other exploits that will spread faster than any virus
we’ve seen yet.  Can anyone say ARIS ThreatCon 4?

  Well it certainly is not inconceivable that someone will
do the equivalent of mouse-over triggers and release a
plague.. :-{ iThat is if they are not doing that already.
Pick a technology that is mouse over interactive and
there is potential issues.

Best Regards,
dreamwvr () dreamwvr com