Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS help

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () csh rit edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:47:52 -0500

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:54:29PM -0500, larosa, vjay wrote:

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out. What is the meaning
of '[1au][|domain]'. 56162 is the DNS transaction ID. When a DNS server
makes a request a number is tagged to it, that way when the reply comes
back it can match it up with the request. I just don't know what the meaning
of 1au is.

[|domain] means that only part of the packet was captured, and that it was
truncated while the DNS protocol information was being decoded.

--
 - mdz