Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: netbios vuln

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 06:12:47 -0800 (PST)

Since you didn't sign the message, I don't know who to
address it to...but here goes...

Don't get hung up over the reference to NetBIOS.
Articles in the media aren't generally written by
folks who know or are able to accurately describe what
really happened.  This mysterious "NetBIOS
vulnerability" could easily be something as simple as
poorly protected file sharing...ie, no passwords.
Just b/c the "news" article appears in 2002, it
doesn't mean that it's a "new" vulnerability.

If you really wanted to know what vulnerability is,
try tracking down a copy of the "FB3" code...

--- ohnonono () hushmail com wrote:

I posted this question to the list 3 weeks ago but
the moderator failed to act on my post and thus it
was returned to me.  I have been a ridicilious
amount of netbios traffic at my main firewall.  This
morning I read this article.  It seems to hint at a
way to run arbitarty code via netbios, now my
question is does anyone know anything about this; is
anyone seeing the netbios traffic and finally is it
just the author of the article (who is not a
security writer like a brian mcwillaims or a thomas
greene) didnt really understand what was going on?
This was from the securitynewsportal site.

Thanks

A teenage hacker attacked an online chatroom run by
The Edge radio station and then turned his attention
to TV3's website. The 15-year-old, who goes by the
online name of "deejay-fuzion" and attends Roturua
Lakes High School, rang the Herald to brag about his
exploits. Asked why he launched a "DDOS"
(distributed denial of service) attack against the
chatroom on Monday night, he said: "Because the
administrator was ... just being a smart arse."
"Dj-fu" signalled his "bots" to flood the chatroom
computer with spurious internet traffic, causing the
server to slow down and eventually stop.   During
the process he noticed other servers belonging to
TV3 were in the same proximity so he tried his
attack on TV3's website - "just because I could".
(Radioworks, which owns the Edge, and TV3 have the
parent company CanWest).   TV3 communications
manager Roger Beaumont confirmed The Edge chat
server had a DDOS attack and was offline for a short
period. But he said it was coincidence that
 TV3's website was offline on Tuesday for routine
maintenance. Will Steele, a friend of the
15-year-old who was online at the time, said the TV3
site was unavailable during the attack and the
"routine maintenance" message appeared on the site
after the attack ended at 9.45pm. That was when the
hacker was taken offline by his internet provider,
Quicksilver.

Its network manager Mark Frater said two individuals
were disconnected on Monday night after the internet
provider received a complaint from a server
administrator. When contacted by Quicksilver, both
denied knowledge of an attack and had their internet
accounts reinstated. Quicksilver manager Trevor
Isted said there was no proof to link the pair to
the attack. Usage logs were being investigated, and
if evidence was found, the pair would be banned from
access for breaching the internet provider's
acceptable use policy. The teenager claims to have
written a trojan program called "FB3" with a friend
known online as "lynx". The program exploits a
"Netbios" vulnerability in Windows PCs related to
file and print sharing, to plant itself on
unsuspecting users' computers. The infected
computers (bots - short for robots) signal their
presence to a computer in the United States which
the teenager uses to send out the instructions to
attack. In this case the method of attack was a "SYN
  flood" - an efficient process which fakes the
initial handshake of an internet connection with
false addresses which the target Machine is unable
to answer.  It keeps retrying to accept them, and
with enough of these happening, a server can become
overwhelmed.   New anti-hacking provisions -
including clauses covering DDOS attacks - in the
Crimes Amendment Bill are waiting to be introduced
to Parliament.    But the hacker would be immune
from prosecution because he is only 15

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to
get

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate
Program:

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
For more information on this free incident handling,
management
and tracking system please see:
http://aris.securityfocus.com