Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: A small quandary

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:57:06 -0500

If what you're asking is if it could be some way that he might not be
aware of/responsible for this probe, the best and surest way to tell is
to do forensics on the originating machine.  The ways in which this
attack could (theoretically) be taking place without his knowledge are
many, and if he would retaliate, your best defense is to have a solid
body of evidence that he was responsible instead of a worm, trojan
horse, backdoor or other user.  It sounds like you'll need to commit
fully to the effort.  Personally, I would definitely consult an attorney
who is familiar with cybercrime, and see about having the computer
seized without warning for forensic analysis if at all possible.  Once
that is accomplished, any claims about having been trojaned or the
victim of a virus/worm can be proven or disproven with great reliability
and integrity.