Security Incidents mailing list archives

RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: Stephen Friedl <steve () unixwiz net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:17:15 -0800

Hello list,

This isn't exactly an "incident", but it was suggested that I post this here.

I've developed a technique for tracking down abusers of rotating proxy
servers:

        RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

        http://www.unixwiz.net/rpat/

The short description: when an "attack" is observed, query the source
via SNMP and suck down the netstat table to see who's talking to the
proxy. Over time and enough different sources, one can "triangulate"
back to the abuser.

There are plenty of caveats, but I believe the technique is original.
The writeup includes the perl source code.

Happy holidays, all.

Steve

---
Stephen J Friedl | Software Consultant | Tustin, CA |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | I speak for me only |   KA8CMY   | steve () unixwiz net