Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bad protocol version identification '^V^C^A'

From: jm <security () wirerats org>
Date: 30 Nov 2002 00:24:51 -0000

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  These type of log events are
usually symbolic of some type of network scanner or brute force scanner.
You can duplicate a similar log event by using nc or telnet and connecting
to a 'ssh' server ( nc -vv hostAddress 22 ).  However, I would be
concerned with whatever service you have listening that are identified in
you logs before the ip address of the remote connection ( ie /bin/id
and /usr/bin/id ...).  I would check to see what these services are and if
you don't need them I would disable them as it may be possible that
someone is trying to exploit that service.

jm