Security Incidents mailing list archives

Unicode worm?

From: "Turner, Keith (Contractor)" <TurnerL () tea-emh1 army mil>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:41:31 -0400

  I've noticed some activity on a couple of web servers which I'm trying to
find an explanation for.  It's been happening for about 2 months.  Here's a
log snippet :

[08-21-2002 - 00:56:11] Client at x.x.x.x: URL normalization was not
complete after one pass. Request will be rejected.  Site Instance='1', Raw
URL='/scripts/..%255c%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe'

 It doesn't appear to be Nimda, as it is a single request.  The web server
IPs are within 1 ip of each other.  When one server sees the hit, the other
server sees it within 2 seconds.  Everything I've seen says that Nimda picks
random IPs (based on network), while this seems to be more of a scan.
Anyone have any ideas what this may be?

Keith