Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange UDP Activity

From: "LAVELLE,MICHAEL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)" <mlavelle () hp com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:08:51 -0400

Hi All,

With the help of the people who responded, I was able to track down the
cause. It appears that an Astaro Security Linux firewall box I am
building/evaluating started making DNS queries to the root servers rather
than to the local DNS servers in it's local configuration. These replies got
caught in my router access list and logged because it wasn't expected
access.

Next time I suspect something is wrong I will wait until morning to draft
the email, rather than sending a groggily drafting request for help. My
thanks to the list...you have been very helpful.

Cheers,

Mike