Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: <victim>server formmail.pl exploit in the wild

From: mike maxwell <mmaxwell () gmavt net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:11:39 -0400

formmail 1.9 is vulnerable...we were just hit by it.....many messages went out
before we causght it ......supposedly the version at

http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/formmail.html

takes care of the problem.......:-(

Justin Shore wrote:

One of my servers had an old copy of formmail.cgi on it (1.6) a few weeks
ago which got that server listed in SpamCop.  Every single malicious use
of that cgi came from pacbell.net DSL customers.  Since upgrading to 1.9
we haven't had any trouble, yet <knock on wood>.  I would rather find a
PHP solution for form handling.

Justin

On 4/11/02 6:06 PM Andrew Daviel said...

I've seen an attempt to exploit FormMail.pl version 1.9 (the latest
official version), viz.

Tue Apr  9 15:40:50 2002
REMOTE_ADDR=172.190.98.15
REQUEST_METHOD=POST
REMOTE_PORT=2768
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL=no-cache
REQUEST_URI=/cgi-bin/formmail.pl
CONTENT_TYPE=application/x-www-form-urlencoded
CONTENT_LENGTH=2153
Count 1
.

We will show you how to not only make money online,
..
subject academics                         NyZ0f
recipient
<a2888 () hotmail com>vancouver-webpages.com,<a28dan () msn com>vancouver-webpag
es.com,
etc.

as per
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/252232

I have also seen an extensive credit card fraud spam campaign aimed at AOL
users exploiting the earlier vulnerability in FormMail.pl version 1.6

Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
security () triumf ca

--
Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.

--
Mike Maxwell
System Manager--GMA