Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Recent Increase in Port 139 Activity

From: "Harlan S. Barney, Jr." <hsbarney () nycap rr com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:34:06 -0400

This is likely NetBIOS Port Probe.

They started up in mid August.  They were a pain last August and
September.

I see them from the Road Runner network.  RR has not yet admitted that
there is a problem.

Most firewalls will probably keep they out.  They are really only a
problem to Windows OS machines with sharing open.

John Campbell wrote:

In the last week, I've started seeing one to several port sweeps per day on
port 139, of a particular nature.  Typically the sweep will hit .1 to .255
of a 24 bit net mask sized address block (generally called, "Class C"
although this can be erroneous) four times.  Have found nothing written on
any new worms targetting this port.  Source machines are largely North
American.  Anyone heard or have ideas about what's going on?  My perimeter
firewall's rejecting this traffic, so I get a log entry but no packet detail
(yet.)

John Campbell, Information Security Engineer
Washington School Information Processing Cooperative
 (WSIPC)
E-mail: jcampbell () wsipc org