Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FBI Virus Alerts

From: info <info () safer-hex com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:43:11 +0200

Also sprach Chris Salter um 12:14 Uhr +0100 am 29.09.2001:

This prompts me to ask a question that I have been meaning to ask for
sometime. My apologies if it has been addressed before. Are these report
statistics published by the AV vendors accurate representations of virus
activity in the field?

the prob for people like us is, each vendor has different standards when a certain category is assigned or an alert is issued. there is also varying time lags between the vendors. in the case of Nimda it was comparatively short, the first being Sophos [Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:45:07 +0100 (BST)] the last being McAfee some 7 hrs later, minutes after Trend Micro. CERT followed shortly after while we received no alert from Kaspersky. Symantec, too, is usually very hesitative to ring the alarm bell...

Also sprach David Kennedy CISSP um 11:02 Uhr -0400 am 29.09.2001:

(...)  I can hardly wait to see if it
makes the Wild List.

that means, as long as you don't see it in the list, it isn't there?

we operate an alert service, and when an a/v vendor sends an alert with the subject line

Also sprach Trend Micro Info Service um 14:29 Uhr +0100 am 27.09.2001:
(...)
Subject: SEVERE OUTBREAK: TROJ_VOTE.C

then I don't wait until their webmasters wake up but forward it to my readers who expect me to do just that and not wait until I have the first samples in our editorial mail boxes to check if it's real.

period!

Dre.

p.s. I'm aware that many a/v vendors sometimes create a hype but we have the policy better to warn to often but ASAP, rather than to warn when it's too late.

--

[  C  A  M  R  I  N    N  E  T  W  O  R  K  ]
the  jrpamc.com internet information services

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com