Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE:Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility ---> a few thoughts

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:14:23 -0400

The major fault has to be with Microsoft. Not with the software faults
themselves, since they  are inevitable, but with the installation process.
  Any system that installs products without explaining the consequences to
the installer needs to bear the responsibility for those consequences.
  I have captured the hosts hitting my cable modem with Cod REd/Nimda et
al and used a wget to retrieve the home page.
As well as most often being cable/ADSL users, they are also running the
default IIS home page from a default install of Windows 2000.  After
contacting one system, I found that he was not even aware that he was
running a web server, let alone that it needed patches.
   If the user is unaware that they are running servers, they certainly
are not going to path them, so MS is at fault for installing them by
default.
  The EULA doesn't help Microsoft there, because I didn't agree to it and
it was MS software that was attempting to attack me, without its user's
permission.
  I would hope that a corporation that has spent millions of dollars in
bandwith and network maintanance becuase of this takes MS to court for
willful negligence.

I do not speak for my employer in this.