Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IE 5.5 SP2 incident

From: Jose Romeo Vela <jrvela () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

I understand that the worm is just sitting there in the cache and as
long as it does not run it does not become active.

I should have been more clear on what I was looking for. My concerns
are the following:

1- Although in the cache, a Trojan is sitting there on the file system.
I am not comfortable with this idea at all. I see it as a risk.

2- Could a new exploit be developed to run the worm from the cache?

3- It would have been safer to patch IE so that it prompts the user
before storing (including caching) any file. I really deslike the idea
that "executables" are being downloaded behind the scenes in IE.

In general I am not satisfied with the patch. I feel that MS needs to
provide a stronger solution.

Thanks.

--- Lars Gaarden <larsg () trustix com> wrote:
Jose Romeo Vela wrote:
I came across something that make me think that IE 5.5 SP2 is still
vulnerable to NIMDA.

Although, I hardly use IE since I prefer Netscape, I still have IE
on
my PC. I updated my IE 5.5 to SP2 to avoid the vulnerability and I
decided to test it. It is my understanding that the patch does not
automatically store files sent by an exploit such as NIMDA's. I
look at
my web server logs ( Linux/Apache, It rocks! ) and pick one of the
ip
address that are tryin to hit me, I opened Netscape with this URL
and I
get esked if I want to save the readme.eml (as expected). I try the
same thing with IE 5.5 SP2 and my Anti-virus goes bananas with
instances of NIMDA in the cache directory.

IE 5.5 SP2 never asked me if I wanted to save the file. Appearently
MS
in their infinite wisdon, caches the file right away.

No harm done if IE only caches the object. From my understanding of
the SP2 fix, IE doesn't deny the downloading of the .elm embedded in
the web page - it only fixes the run files with mimetype wav no
questions asked bug.

So, readme.eml is automatically cached - just like any other web
page,
.gif picture, or any other material you encounter while surfing the
web.
But, it has not been run automatically. The worm is in your web
cache,
but it hasn't been run and your PC has not been infected.

--
LarsG

=====
Regards.