Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: MIME type of readme.eml (was Re: Web site infected by Nimda

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:56:08 +1200

Rob Quinn <rquinn () sec sprint net> wrote:

Interestingly, the content type from www.wininternals.com (aka 207.30.43.69,
aka underconstruction.infoback.net) is application/octet-stream.  The content
type on www.digimind.fr is correct at "message/rfc822."

 Anyone have a breakdown on the MIME types they are seeing _IN HTTP_?

Nope -- not been looking...

 It's been too long since I installed a web server - am I remembering correctly
that the MIME type is set by a web server config file, and not the HTTP in the
web page itself?

However, I can answer this.

The web server sets the type that is reported in the HTTP transfer
conversation.  That is, the "Content-Type: text/html" or whatever is
done by the server.  I wouldn't count on IE to "respect" that though
-- for example, it is well-known that IE will scan the first few
hundred bytes of GIFs and JPGs for HTML tags despite the files being
specified by the server with the correct image types.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.