Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ntoskrnl.exe issue

From: Chuq Yang <chuq () bigfoot com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:43:40 -0700 (PDT)

We had this happen to a laptop of ours, that was running W2K Advanced server
(don't ask me why it was running server ;), and upon installing the security
patch for Code Red, we got the same ntoskrnl error.  What we did to rectify this
was start the install process of W2K again (I'm assuming that the SBS version
will work as well), and select the *repair* entry.  This is what I did, but it
was not a production system, and it worked, so be aware that if you do choose to
take this route, you may lose your data.  (Hint: It's probably an issue with the
boot.ini file in the root of your C: drive.)

Chuq
chuq () speakeasy net