Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: fwd: Re: Slow FTP scan

From: Joe Smith <shadowm4n () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:22:45 -0700 (PDT)

I appreciate your comments.  I've answered you

* If this were a spoofed decoy scan, wouldn't we
expect to see RSTs from the
spoofed sources, whenever the target SYN-ACK-ed the
probe? [assuming there's
at least one open ftp in the network]

No target on my network responded to any of the SYN
attempts.  There are no tcp-port 21 servers accessible
from the Internet.  Thus, no response would ever be
generated as the firewall is dropping all attempts.

* If RSTs 'are' being seen, do their TTLs correspond
to the TTLs of the SYN
packets: are TTLs actually being randomized?

No RST's being seen, none being generated (see above).

* If TTLs are being randomized signifying
packet-crafting at Layer 3, wouldn
't we expect RST from the source, (even if the
sources were not spoofed)?
The kernel should normally have responded with RSTs
as it was not
responsible for the SYN?

We would not necessarily see RST's from the source
host (even it if wasn't spoofed) because there are
some scanning techniques that will not respond to
SYN-ACK packets, but will simply leave the session
half open.

A few observations on some of the patterns in these
logs:

- The 39 (decoy?) hosts that scan Joe's Class C
subnet over the period of 9
days, rarely probe the same IP address again that
have been probed by
another one of the scanners during this period. (
<10% ) While someone here
could work out the exact mathematical probability of
such a pattern, it
seems to suggest some level of loose co-ordination
between the scanners.

An associate of mine suggested this could be a
worm-in-testing?

- The source IPs reappears in the logs across days,
probing the same target
in ~ 60% of the cases. There seems to be a tendency
for each scanner to
converge to the same set of target IPs over time.

- The fast ftp scan from 217.85.115.254 on Oct 16th
looked unrelated to the
rest of the scans at first, though there seems to be
a visible pattern
emerging between the fast and slow scans.

I agree with the above here.

- Both the fast ftp scan, and the slower scans
contain a SYN retry after 3
seconds. [Probably, several tools have this
'feature'?]

- The IP addresses that did not receive a SYN retry
during the fast scan
(like x.x.x.27) were then excluded from probing
altogether- from the slow
scans also. [The absence of SYN retries could be the
result of a SYN-ACK
response from the target. Joe could help us: do the
absence of SYN retries
correlate with an open ftp port on the Class C
subnet?] If this is the case,
then I'd guess we're probably not seeing spoofed
source decoy scans at all.

As you now know, there are no devices on my network
listening on port 21 accessible from the Internet.

- The two IPs that engaged in the [RST, ACK]
64.66.223.131, and 193.95.161.209 'always' played
out the same sequence with
the same 4 targets, x.x.x.44, .57, .84, .108 across
the week. Oddly enough,
these targets did not play the sequence with any
other scanner that happened
to probe them at this time. Are these two scanners
unrelated to the rest, or
probably variants of the original scanner as they
also have the 3 second
retry?

- The unusual window sizes of 512 and 7300 come from
the same address:
195.141.175.2. The others have 8K and 16K window
sizes, the defaults of NT
and 2K respectively. The window size of 512 doesn't
fit into the default
range for 'any' OS.

Just curious, is there a good source out there that
has lists of OS's versus known window sizes (and other
properties of the TCP header, for that matter)?

We could probably get a better picture of what's
going on in the days ahead
when we see more detailed logs from across the Net.

Roshen

From: Joe Smith (shadowm4n () yahoo com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 11:19:07 CDT

I'm showing that somewhere, someone is very
interested
in scanning for ftp servers on my network, but
they're
doing this in a very slow fashion, and it appears to
be coming from random hosts (they'll hit one host
every couple hours, this has been going on for
weeks).

I'm not at all sure how to identify which one is the
badguy, or even if there is a badguy. Assuming that
most of these hosts are spoofed, and that their
ttl's,
tcp sequences, ip id's, and such are all randomized
within normal parameters, is there any way to
determine whats going on?

I've included output of the dump file, but if you
can
think of anything to look for, don't hesitate to let
me know. The xxx.xxx.xxx refers to the first three
octets of our class-c block. They're hitting host
IP's that most of the time don't even correlate to a
machine.

Thanks in advance,
Joe.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
For more information on this free incident handling,
management
and tracking system please see:
http://aris.securityfocus.com