Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible tirpwire false alarm?

From: Sebastian Ip <9scki () qlink queensu ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:48:16 -0400

I went and aquired a copy of tom's rescue floppy and ran checks after booting
off it.. Appears that everything is just fine. On reboot however my harddisk
made some "dying" noise ...that's bad.

I am hoping this is a false alarm caused by something. I'll monitor more
closely what happens in the next few weeks and when the next redhat comes out
i'll see about at least a clean reinstall and prehaps aquire a new harddisk
as well.

Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone else have more ideas for checking why
tirpwire does say there were changes please email me it's still not a totally
"cleared" case in my mind. I have the nagging feeling I might be wrong about
the system being clean.

Cheers

Sebastian Ip

If
i would do this, mount your redhat cd, mount the stage2.img file in the
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/base/stage2.img using the command:
mount -o loop -t ext2 /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/bash/stage2.img /mnt/floppy
then use the staticly compiled rpm in the usr/bin directory there to
verifty the packages on the cd, like this
/mnt/floppy/usr/bin/rpm -Vp /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/gzip-*.rpm  , if you get
just changed md5sums (signified by a 5) then your files are just corrupt,
and not trojaned. This approach wont be immune to a malicious kernel
module, so you might wanna boot into rescue mode on the cd and try it if
the machine can be shut down