Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Who's liable?

From: "Bullock, Steve (ISS Helsingborg)" <SBullock () iss net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:07:39 -0400

After spending 20 years in law enforcement I can say that it all boils down
to the 'reasonable man' test.

Simply put, if the company has taken all 'reasonable' steps to protect
against this sort of misuse, they are not liable.  Conversely put, if they
give their staff carte blanche access to do anything, without any logging or
checking they are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

To us 'mcdaddy's' example of the car thief using the car to commit a crime.
If the cars are in a locked garage, without the keys left in them, the
company would not be liable for any misuse of the vehicle.   On the flip
side, if you leave a car open with the keys in, then you are aiding/abetting
the car theft.

Hope that helps