Security Incidents mailing list archives

Strange SMTP Garbage Flood

From: Mike Tibor <tibor () lib uaa alaska edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:52:28 -0900 (AKST)

I'm noticing an increasing amount of weird smtp relay attempts through my
mail server.  What makes these strange is that they actually don't appear
to be real relay attempts, but more like someone spitting garbage during
the RCPT TO: part of the smtp session (ie, there's no identifiable
objective that I can see, vs. a "real" relay attempt which has the obvious
objective of discovering whether my mail server is an open relay)

I've received about a hundred Postfix notifications over the past three or
four days regarding this activity, and the vast majority appear to be from
a single dialup customer from a local ISP here in Anchorage.  However, a
few others were from what appeared to be a different computer (it supplied
a different name in the HELO part of session), coming from a different
Anchorage ISP.

A number of things are consistent in these messages:

  1.  HELO identifier is the same (with the exception noted above)
  2.  RSET always immediately after HELO
  3.  Envelope sender always blank ("MAIL FROM: <>")
  4.  Garbage always in RCPT TO:
  5.  Remote computer always drops the connection
      (it never sends QUIT to end the session)

I've obscured the hostname and IP address of the remote computer
(host.isp.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])

Does this activity look familiar to anyone?  I looked through my bugtraq
and incidents archives and didn't notice anything that might shed some
light.

If anyone has any insight as to what this might be, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax