Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SYN Flood attack with sequential destination ports?

From: Jason Giglio <jgiglio () netmar com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:38:45 -0500

On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:55:04 -0500
Joshua Wright <Joshua.Wright () jwu edu> wrote:

I am working with some folks at a partner network who are seeing a SYN flood
attack to a single destination address.

The interesting characteristic is the destination port is sequential - each
phase of attack starting at 3039 and ending arouind 34431.

I checked the source for synful.c, syn4k.c and a few others - all seem to
use a random or fixed destination port.  Any ideas on what tool this could
be?

Synful.c... syn4k.c... Those are C source files right?

Two lines of code change that random or fixed port into a sequential port attack.  I don't think For loops are over the
heads of most script kiddies.

Thanks.

-Joshua Wright, GCIH
Joshua.Wright () jwu edu

--
Jason Giglio
Information Technology Coordinator, Smyth Companies, Bedford VA