Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP 8.255?

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () sys-security com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:17:34 +0200

Larry,

Using an ICMP Echo request with a code field different than zero can be a
scan attempt.
If the targeted host answers and with the reply the code is changed to zero
than the targeted host belongs to the Microsoft Windows based operating
systems.
This is an Active OS fingerprinting method I have discoverd few months ago.

You can find more about if you'll read my research paper "ICMP Usage In
Scanning" available from http://www.sys-security.com

Ofir Arkin
Founder
The Sys-Security Group