Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 1080 Incidents

From: Jan Muenther <jan () RADIO HUNDERT6 DE>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:13:45 +0000

Hello there,

It might be interesting to note that nmap scans this port during a normal
command line scan and this indication is not necessarily from a IRC based
application.

Yes, but if your network is queried only on that port, use of
nmap (or Nessus and such) is quite improbable in my view, since
these scanners usually scan a wide range of ports, unless you
tell them not to.

I was wondering if anybody knew why everyday my firewall gets hit
with "attacks" on port 1080 from computers
all over the world, mostly dialup accounts in other countries.

That's the "SOCKS" port.  SOCKS is a generic TCP (and later UDP) proxy
method.  Lots of the Windows firewall/NAT implmentations use SOCKS
compatible proxies as one of their means to get clients through.

The ever so popular Wingate's one of them. I've seen it
misconfigured pretty often, since most people don't seem to care
any further once their applications work.

Cheers, Jan

--
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -