Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: blackholing t-dialin.net? sympatico.ca?

From: "Daniel R. Warner" <drwarner () SLEET LAKEHEADU CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:28:32 -0500

I suspect that this dosn't apply to you personally, but if the people
responsible for this school's networks blackholed a dialin service as
broad as sympatico, I'd be upset. I have many friends and collegues
behind dialins, and when I am away from my work, say when visit my
parents (who actually use sympatico dialin) I oftentimes use their
services to connect.

Although it certainly would be nice to see the script kiddies vanish, I
suspect that by blocking the entire range of dialup users from such
large providers would cause inconvenience down the road.

Perhaps something along the lines of blocking access to certain ports
to/from dialups would be better.