Security Incidents mailing list archives

Administrivia

From: Alfred Huger <ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:14:58 -0700

Hey Folks,

1. The lion worm which came to light here yesterday has been analyzed by
the SANS GIAC team (Matt Fearnow) with the help of some of the list
members here and is worth a read as it is really quite well done:

http://www.sans.org/y2k/lion.htm

2. Posts inquiring about ports which are listed via IANA will no longer be
allowed. The exception to this would be if you feel the service is
actually not as displayed and is in fact a trojan.

If in doubt:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers/
http://www.portsdb.org

3. On Sunday night Elias Levy (aleph1) will be announcing a new free
service to the Incidents list. This service which we started work on seven
months ago was inspired by the Incidents list and will be pre-announced
here before we send it off to our other community members. It is designed
to let IDS users track, manage, notify against and gather statistical data
against attempts on there networks(s) as well as a plethora of other
things. If you run Snort, RealSecure, BlackICE (Defender or ICEPac) or
Cisco Secure IDS (NetRanger) then this service will be of great interest
to you.

Cheers,
-al

VP Engineering