Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange port 23 traffic

From: Ray Simard <ray.simard () SYLVAN-GLADE COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:13:59 -0800

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:49:37 +0200, Costas Karafasoulis
<karafas () MAIL ARIADNE-T GR> wrote:

There is some strange traffic in my network, that I can really
figure out what its is. It consists of a large number of connections
of the form:

OjU5AGh0dHA6Ly9yZWRVjZW50LmNvbS9TY3JpcHRzL1JlZG
yLmRsbD9SyMDAxLTA2LTMwIDIzOjU5OjU5ADIzOjU5
</P></body></html>

any ideas waht it could be ???

You probably have a freeware version of a product which
includes live advertisements in lieu of registration. A
familiar example is the freeware PKZIP. These are the
advertisements.

Ray Simard
ray () sylvan-glade com