Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DoS Kiddie

From: Abel Wisman <able () able-towers com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:40:02 -0500

Besides the fact that it is bad news to get into a pissing contest with these
kind off charachters, there are some things you can do.

first of all you can filter the attack at your own router

000: [ IP Filter "smurfin" ]$
000: deny 0.0.0.0/0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 ip$
000: deny 0.0.0.0/0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 ip$
000: deny 0.0.0.0/0 xxx.xxx.xxx.255/32 ip$
000: permit 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0$
000: $
000: [ IP Filter "smurfout" ]$
000: permit 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 $

where the /32 ip is the ip under attack

this should work on most routers.

as far as shell accounts and bouncers goes:

a whois usually reveals who own the domain, said company might be willing to
help you, since they are most prone to be attacked (or at least the ircd's
they are selling)

regards

abel wisman

www.url.org