Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: ISP Filtering (Survey of Sorts)

From: "Booth, David CWT-MSP" <dbooth () Carlson com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:43:24 -0500

Dont know about the corporate side because I dont manage the internet
gateways here and therefore dont have any info on what policies and
practices were agreed with our service providers. On the personal ISP side I
have to say that I've been very favourably impressed with Minneapolis-based
Vector (visi.com). No RFC1918 addresses have ever appeared on my firewalls
external interface and on the one occasion where I got hit by a DoS (some
scriptkiddie decided he didnt want me on IRC since I'd tracked down too many
of his rooted boxes and got the admins to clean them up) they had a filter
in place to block it within minutes. All in all I can recommend them without
hesitation to any customer in the Twin Cities area simply because they do
seem to be doing it right security-wise.

Dave Booth CWT-MSP
dbooth () carlson com
| Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem    |
| mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane   |
| mittam.                                  |