Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: another rootkit - one more file (fwd)

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Mail Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

HI Michal

thanx for posting your detailed comments...

i don't recall if i posted a reply to you or to the list or not..

- am adding that this rootkit worked on my "patched" slackware-7.0 system
        - i think the exploited the wu-ftpd-2.6.0 bugs ??/
        ( since i have ftp logins from  200.248.162.140 around June 01
        ( 04:40am and been playign for a few hours as seen on the time
        ( stamps on the rootkit directories

        - ie... the slackware-7.0 patches is NOT sufficient to fix the
        exploits... ( either wu-ftpd or bind-8.2.2 which i patched again
        after the attack... i am hoping they come back and "test it"
        again..

thanx michal and others that have sent info/comments

the maniac-rk (?) tarball is at
        http://Lsec.Linux-Consulting.com/Hacker_Tools_Found/
        - look for hacker_Jun.01.*

thanx