Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Printer exploit?

From: Vangelis Haniotakis <haniotak () ucnet uoc gr>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:56:46 +0300 (EET DST)

On 28 Jun 2001, John Leach wrote:

We've noticed a sudden influx of tcp 515 printer port scans over the
last month on nearly all of our boxes (different sites, different isps)

We *do* have a *really* good HP colour laserjet, I guess the word got
out.

 Hmm, guess our printers must look tasty as well.

 We got hit by 3 different attackers today, all looking for port 515 on
random IP's. A total of about 60,000 probes launched towards all of our
class B network.

 Is this beginning to look a bit worrying?

--
Vangelis Haniotakis - Network & Communications Centre, University of Crete

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com