Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: hacked box research

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:29:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Lowell wrote:

What hackers did:
Fed in the Lion worm to deface index pages.
Attempted to gain total control of router by changing vty to 1 and they were
going to be the one!
once we disallowed all vty programming they began a dos attack

The question I as wondering was does anyone know how the were able to get
into the router? What is a excessive collision?

I must assume you are referring to a Cisco router (Some vunerabilities are
known with some of the IOS versions like the SNMP one.)

If you check the archives of the bugtraq mailinglist you will see several
messages regarding Cisco vunerabilities.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/