Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Huge outgoing ICMP flows

From: Chris Ess <azarin () tokimi net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:59:11 -0400 (EDT)

 Hi.

 Over the last few days, our outgoing traffic has increased tremendously.
On examination of our Netflow logs, a couple of our hosts seem to be
transmitting big amounts of data with source and destination port 0 to a
small number of external hosts.

ICMP doesn't use ports.  It instead uses types and codes.  I've lost my
copy of the URL for iana's documents.  Would someone be kind enough to
post that?

But type=0, code=0 (or is it the other way round?) is a ping.  If I'm
interpreting your table correctly, there are 6,575 pings registered from
one host and 5,735 from another.  So, yes, it is possible that these
machines are being used for an ICMP ping DoS (AKA smurf attack).

I would check to make sure that this is only coming from a few hosts
rather than from all of them.  If you're getting ping traffic like that
originating from all hosts on your subnet, you are (probably) being used
for a DoS attack and you should configure your router to block external
broadcast packets.  (I'm told it's easy, but I'm not very familiar with
router hardware/software.)

src IP|dst IP|src port|dst port|prot|pkt count|flow sz|strt timestmp|end ts
147.52.xxx.xxx|xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx|0|0|ICMP|6575|6637824|992379494|988086327
147.52.xxx.xxx|xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx|0|0|ICMP|5735|6088716|992379508|992381308

This is my cursory examination of things.  Hopefully someone else can
provide something more in depth.

--CAE  Kujikenaikara!

Sub caelo noctis sto quod stellae mihi spem dant.