Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMTP server (How can I find out the real source of an attack

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:34:41 +1200

"Pavel Kankovsky" <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz> wrote:

I see a trend: Yesterday, the Internet was a happy place free of DoS
attacks. Today, we suffer from a relatively small number of intentional
DoS attack. Tomorrow, the whole Internet will collapse under a massive
wave of accidental DoS attacks caused by braindead software written and
configured by ignorant people. :P

And this is largely because of current "accepted good practice"...

How often in this and related lists (and in the RFCs, etc) do you see
advice such as "be generous in what you accept..."?  Because many
implementors are so "generous" (but in differently incompatible ways)
it is easy for a bad/lazy/stupid implementor to build and test an
implementation that works well in all (the limited) ways s/he
conceives to test against the limited other implementations chosen as
for those tests.

The result is an ever-increasing amount of crappy, non-standard
compliant code being put into production.

And, as Pavel notes, when you then deliver this to people who have no
idea of what the standard is or how to "properly" configure their
system anyway, things starts swirling more and more rapidly down the
drain.

The really sad thing is, many developers' "solution" to the fact that
yet another non-standards compliant implementation has been foisted
on the market by a competitor is to rush out and "break" their own
product so it inter-operates with the rubbish...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com