Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Security Event / Customer Reporting

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 10:44:34 +1200

"Tyrannis Von Nettesheim" <tyrannis () wwc com> wrote:

<<some good and interesting stuff snipped>>
Stepping above the day-to-day techie mindset we're in, it's interesting to
consider the question of : "Who owns a packet once it's off your network?".

I presume you mean "...off the originating machines sub-net" or
something like that?  Or did you mean that you "own" a packet while
it transits your network, for whatever reason it may be there?  If
you meant the latter, the next sentence is a non sequiter, so I will
assume you mean something like the former.

Current US law seems to view examining transit traffic like radio
interception - a no-no, for the most part.  ...

In that case, the law (as a prominent English judge once remarked)
would be an ass.  Using (only) radio analogies in determining
legalities for "domain-style" networks means that the resulting laws
and directives will be fundamentally broken.  Remember, an inherent
difference between "broadcast spectrum" and "routable protocol"
networks is that the latter can only work by *requiring* intermediary
"inspection" of (part of) the information flow across what may be
loosely conceived of as "ownership boundaries" (and, worse, "media
translation" (and some other services required to make our modern
networks work) requires "manipulating" more of the data stream than
simply the headers or delivery envelopes).

...  There's also the huge issue of
how to prove / maintain a chain-of-evidence, yet another slippery slope in
the digital crime era. =(

Yep...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald