Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Cobalt Scan

From: Tom Laermans <tom.laermans () powersource cx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:18:29 +0200

Hi,

> Name:    ariston.netcraft.com
> Address:  195.92.95.61

I've made the double check and used netcraft to examine one of my servers.
The results are different from the request for cobalt-images seen so far:

wooster.netcraft.com - - [27/Jul/2001:13:07:03 +0200] "HEAD / HTTP/1.1"
200 0 "http://www.netcraft.com/survey/"; "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Netcraft Web Server Survey)"
jumble.netcraft.com - - [28/Jul/2001:23:57:51 +0200] "HEAD / HTTP/1.0"
200 0 "http://www.netcraft.com/survey/"; "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Netcraft Web Server Survey)"

These aren't cobalt-images requests, are they?

So it isn't the normal probe that everbody can use, but something special.
Speculations about the intended usage of the data are left to the reader.

I think it's something like this:

1) When you do a scan yourself on your server, you get what you see above,
2) When netcraft scans you automatically (daily I think, if you're in the correct queue) it uses the other way (the way you have seen before).

I don't know if this is correct, I have not checked and cannot check in the very near future :-/

HTH,

Tom

Web: http://www.powersource.cx --- ICQ#: 12120754
Also check this out:  http://kickme.to/sidewinder