Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 119 Scans

From: "Richard Johnson" <rdump () river com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:00:12 -0600

At 14:58 -0600 on 7/27/01, Tom Laermans wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeing a lot of port 199 scans lately (very many the last week) .. Is
there some sort of news server exploit out? Or am I the only one seeing this?

I'm on ADSL with dynamic IP so I don't think they'd be targetting me
personally.. I don't run a newsserver...

I've seen the same, and heard reports from friends about port 119 scans.

It may not be someone looking to run a new exploit.  Hipclones may just be
looking for more open sewers for their newsgroup flooding attacks.

Richard