Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IIS Directory traversal vulnerability

From: Jordan K Wiens <jwiens () nersp nerdc ufl edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:31:02 -0400 (EDT)

It's just easier to use.  You can use the unicode bug to execute cmd.exe
from any directory with execute permissions, but copying cmd to a file in
/scripts/ has the ease of use of not having to worry about the unicode and
cmd, so you can execute commands on it without (at least, that's their
hope) triggering an IDS, or the admin noticing REALLY strange entries in
the log.  Maybe the only partially strange logs won't tip them off.

Plus, there's the added benefit that even when patches are installed in the
machine, the hacker has easy access right in because no unicode is
necessary to use dr.exe.

Again, assuming that dr.exe really is cmd.exe.

--
Jordan Wiens
UF Network Incident Response Team