Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Http scanning for cgi based mail-relays.

From: David Luyer <david_luyer () pacific net au>
Date: 19 Jul 2001 15:09:09 +1000

On 18 Jul 2001 14:02:21 -0700, Chip McClure wrote:
I got it too, more than likely from the same individual. The sources came
from Road Runner in NYC. The exploit was the same, using the formmail.pl
script on a clients web site.

We've had spammers exploiting formmail.pl on client's web sites for
almost
6 months now, and been gradually one by one making the formmail.pl's
much
more stringent.  It's a real pain, though, when a formmail.pl was
installed
as a central copy for users of an ISP to then go and define the criteria
which make it useless for spamming and yet still able to do everything
required by legitimate users...

Usually @home, RR, uunet, etc users seem to do this directly.  I haven't
seen it done from IPs outside the US yet, which means the spammers
aren't doing it via open proxies/wingates/etc yet.
--
David Luyer                                     Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Engineering Projects Manager   P A C I F I C    Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com